Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 1 of Blog Challenge

Blog Challenge!


Day 1: A recent photo of yourself and 15 facts


I recently started a 30-day challenge on facebook, so some of the facts may repeat if you are friends with me on facebook.


First, this is a recent photo of me. Actually, it's one of my favorites taken at a cousin's wedding in Jefferson City a few months ago.


15 random facts (and I will try to be creative, but no promises!)


1. One of the most important things to me is my involvement in Alpha Phi Omega, a National Service Fraternity committed to serving campus, community, the fraternity, and the nation. I became involved with it in college at Rockhurst University and met my best friend, Liz, and then through the national conference in Boston, I met my soulmate. I now serve as an alumni, advisor, and conference presenter. I love it!
A picture of the best man in the world and me. :) Yes, I realize he is more than a whole head taller than I am. He's 6'2!! 


2. I broke my neck in 6th grade participating in high jump in a track meet. Since then, I have had over 20 surgeries, 50 procedures, and 7 years of physical therapy. But it has changed me in a good way, and I will hopefully be able to share understanding and compassion with my patients because I have experienced so many medical issues myself. :)


3. I am such a people-pleaser. I really have been working on this, but it still shines through. It's the one thing I am worried about with my new job as an umpire. But seriously, softball and baseball is the place where I am really confidant in my thoughts and calls, so I think it will be ok. :)


4. I love to travel. Still never been out of the country, but recently, I got accepted to present at a research conference in New Zealand. Amazing!!! After that, Allen and I will definitely be taking many trips together. :)


Allen on one of our road trips. :)

5. I rarely spend a weekend in Springfield. I am always on the go. This summer, I will probably staying a little more because of the job, but whenever I am free, I go see friends in KC, Allen in OK (unfortunately, he won't be here to visit :( ), or family in southern MO. It makes every week exciting waiting for the weekend's trip. I just wish gas wasn't so expensive!!


6. I have ALWAYS wanted to do Doctors Without Borders. With my upcoming marriage, at first I thought it would be harder to do, but since Allen will be deployed, I am hoping to occupy my time at least doing medical missions. It's something that hits really close to home, trying to get care for those that aren't able to advocate for themselves. So, before we start a family, this is something I want to accomplish!! I will write about a more developed list of things to accomplish between Allen and I later. :)


7. I really like photography. I love taking pictures of people. Allen loves taking pictures of the scenery. I am working on liking to do that, also. I just have a regular digital camera, but Allen has a more professional camera (not sure what type), so I will definitely have to work on taking more pictures with that. I would also looveee to take classes and be able to do it part-time one day. I think that is something that Allen and I would do together after we are established in our other careers, on the side. 


8. I am not the best cook. I try soooo hard, but I end up burning/messing things up. Allen is a sous chef for a family restaurant/catering company in OK, so he has been teaching me. He challenged me to make 15 successful, complete meals by March 15. Due to time constraints and having night classes/clinicals, I usually just cook something pretty fast, so I failed, but he graciously extended it to May 1, so that I would at least have more of a chance. :) We always like to challenge each other!


One of my meals for the challenge: Chicken Alfredo.

9. I always said I wanted to move away from West Plains and live in the big city, and I still stick to that after living in KC (which I LOVE). But, WP is definitely an amazing area to raise a family in, so it all may change. :)


10. I love music. All types of music. And after many years of hating country music, after my freshman year of college, I believe that is now my favorite type! Too bad the boy doesn't agree.... 


11. My family and I have definitely had our ups and downs, but there are no two better people in this world than my mom and dad. I can never repay them for everything they have done for me. The rest of my family is pretty amazing, too.


My mom, Arleen, and my dad, Tom.


12. I would do ANYTHING to make my sister and mom be out of pain and healthy. It bothers me absolutely every day that I can't do anything, except for pray, and I do that often. I just have to trust that God will take care of everything, and I do. It's just really hard sometimes.


My beautiful sister, Nikki, and I after Christmas Eve 2010 Mass.


13. I can not wait to own, furnish, and decorate my own house!!


14. I currently live with my brother in an apartment in Springfield since we both go to MSU. Don't ask me how we do it, but we do, and most of the time, without fights or anything else. Impressive, right?


My brother and roommate, Ryan, and I. 


15. I am a HUGE fan of Minnesota Vikings football. Missouri Tigers' sports and St. Louis Cardinals' baseball also hold big places in my heart, but NOTHING in sports compares to the Minnesota Vikings. :)






Thanks for reading!! Good night and sweet dreams!


Take care,


-Gennie

1 comment:

  1. Can I PLEASE go with New Zealand with you whenever your conference is? Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete